Welcome to the first ever Hand Lettering Podcast episode, Getting Started with Hand Lettering, Brush Lettering & calligraphy. This podcast series will share helpful hand lettering information, tips, and resources, everything from beginning lettering to going pro. It is a brand new feature for Lettering Tutorial, and one that I’m hoping to continue over the next few months.
What you will hear in this podcast episode…
· A little about me, my art background and how I discovered hand lettering.
· A brief summary of what hand lettering is, and the differences between hand lettering, brush lettering and calligraphy.
· Tips on how to get started with hand lettering, brush lettering and calligraphy.
· Sources of inspiration including a lettering artist to look up, along with a specific piece of work they have created.
· An inspiring quote if you’re stuck for something to letter, that’s also great for beginners.
· A question and answer segment, where I answer your hand lettering questions.
Show Notes & Links
Featured Lettering Artist
Featured piece of work – ‘Blue Neighbourhood’
Creativity takes courage. – Henri Matisse
If you’d like to share your lettering work inspired by this episodes quote, you can do that through social media. You can share your creative works of art on the Lettering Tutorial Facebook page, or tag @letteringtut on Twitter, and @letteringtutorial on Instagram. It would be great to see what you create with the quote!
Q & A
This episodes question was sent in by Susan from Vancouver in Canada.
Calligraphers usually make sure that they attribute their quotes. Modern hand-lettering doesn’t show the author usually. Can you please discuss this?
If you have a question you’d like answered in the podcast, you can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can ask as many questions as you like, and ask about anything at all that’s lettering related.
Thank you so much for joining me on this first Hand Lettering Podcast episode, and if you’ve listened right through to the end then that’s amazing! My goal is to release a new episode every two weeks, and see how that goes for a little while.
If you’ve enjoyed this episode please could I ask that you leave a positive rating in iTunes, Stitcher, or whatever other podcasting platform you use to listen. As it will really help me, and it will help others to find the new podcast too.
Have you started lettering, or have you not put pencil / pen to paper yet? Have certain things been holding you back or has this episode helped you to get started with lettering? Please feel free to share your thoughts on this episode in the comments below.